I’m a big fan of the work that Daniel Serra does. I have been to one of his lectures, and I have read his blog Eldrimner, and I own the book he co-authored with Hanna Tunberg, An Early Meal: A Viking Age Cookbook and Culinary Odyssey (on ChronoCopia Publishing, Amazon). He takes the archaeological record from the Viking Age and helps to interpret that into plausible recipes. Well, he also does for Medieval Scandinavia too. 🙂
And if you’re in Northshield, you’ll have opportunities to listen to him speak.
- September 9th 2pm- 3pm American Swedish institute (also on Facebook). Lecture on Medieval and Renaissance Scandinavian food
- September 13th-16th North House Folk School ( also on Facebook) workshops & demos. Check out his instructor page.
- September 18th-19th Duluth, MN — as yet unscheduled talks. Keep a look out on his Facebook page for announcements.
- September 21st-23rd University of Wisconsin, Greenbay, Viking house, are going to have several workshops — Sept 21st, Everyday Food in the Viking Age; Sept 22nd, Ritual Food in the Viking Age; Sept 23rd, Open-pit Fire & Clay Over Cooking — Late Medieval Foods
- Sept 26-29th Norsk Høstfest, Minot, North Dakota will have talks and demos at Viking village there. The ticket for the Great Hall of the Vikings will gain you general admission for the rest of the festival.
- October 6th in New York Mills, MN will have an event with samples, but details are yet to be listed.
- October 8th Hammerheart brewery (also on Facebook) will have a dinner with Viking Age dishes with commentary. I haven’t found details as of yet.
Also not too far away in Calontir…