:: ᚽᚢᛆᛐᛌᛁᚴᛁᚱ • ᛆᚢᛁᛆᛓᛆᛌᛆᛐᚢᛐᛁᚱ ::
Hvat segir þú?
Old Norse Pronunciation
- Scandinavian Iron Age 400-800
- Viking Age in England 795-1066
- Viking Age in Scandinavia 750-1050
- Viking Age in Russia 750-1200
- Old Norse language c. 600-1300
- West Norse Dialect vs. East Norse Dialect
–> Old Icelandic, Old Norwegian, etc. –> Old Danish, Old Swedish, etc.
- Standardized Old Norse
- Created in the 19th c.
- Based mostly on manuscripts from 13th c. Iceland
- Period writing has vast variations in spellings
- Period manuscripts have lots of abbreviations
- Period attempt at standardization in 12th c., the First Grammatical Treatise
- Gives valuable linguistic insight into Old Norse
- Did not get adopted at all